As a parent you’re always concerned that your child doesn’t get too attached with his/her gadgets for fear that he/she might not get enough chances to interact with other people in the real world. But there are good things that come from having a huge interest with modern technology.
Just look at Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg, their success was all because they loved tinkering with gadgets and learning about technological trends.
So, like it or not, technology has certainly changed how our children interact with the world. Fortunately, not everything about modern technology is bad for our kids and listed below are some of the good, and bad, things about technology affecting our children.
The Positive Side
Let’s start with the good aspects of technology and you might be surprised to see that there are so many great ways that modern technology can help our kids, not just in school but also in their lives.
- Technology speeds up and enriches the learning process. Studies have shown that children who have access to technology are more engrossed in the learning material and can easily absorb information. It is an excellent motivational tool for learning as it makes it easier for children to accomplish assignments as typing is easier than writing.
- Technology helps with communication and socialization. It helps children interact with a diverse group of people through the Internet. Children can easily find other kids who share their interests onlin
- Technology helps kids to be more creative. It provides children the tools to exercise their creativity. There are informational resources available online for arts, crafts, design, music and other hobbies. Technology also assists children when it comes to satisfying their curiosity and learning useful information beyond the usual sources.
- Gaming technology helps children improve their motor skills and other sensory functions. It also aids in cognitive development through reasoning, logic, problem-solving and more.
- Technology also equips children to be more adept in the corporate world because it provides them with the tools they will need in their future work environment.
The Negative Side
Now, we list the side of technology that can be bad for your kids. But you should know that as a parent, you can always guide your kids and help them steer clear from the negative aspects of modern technology.
- It alters the way children think. According to some experts, kids who spend hours playing video games get addicted to this pastime because their brains release dopamine, which is a pleasure chemical, while they progress through the games. Getting a rush from the dopamine motivates children to play even longer with their games, which is a bit like being addicted to a certain substance.
- It affects their health. Exposure to electronic gadgets is sometimes blamed by health professionals for the rise in diabetes and obesity among children. Children who spend hours in front of a laptop or gaming console lack a proper amount of exercise, which can cause severe health risks, such as cardiovascular diseases or muscle atrophy. In addition, several studies point out other health problems when children are overexposed to technology. These include poor eyesight and debilitating back pains.
- Promotes negative psychological health. While it helps children develop social skills and improve interpersonal relationships, it is not comparable to social skills and interpersonal relationships developed through traditional ways. Also, playing violent video games often desensitize children, which could result in them lacking empathy for other people.
- Technology has all caused children’s safety and privacy at risk. By sharing their personal information publicly, they are vulnerable to sex offenders who can easily find victims just by looking at their personal information online. In addition, bullying has been expanded in the virtual world as it is easy to be anonymous over the Internet.
- Exposure to inappropriate content becomes possible despite age restrictions. Children can manipulate personal information in order to access sexual and violent content. Aside from that, spam mails and links which contain unsuitable contents can become a free gateway by which unwanted computer visitors (hackers) can gain entry to your system when children click or view them because of curiosity.
Technology makes life easier and much more interesting. Children can learn many things with technology, but it’s up to you to guide them and help them manage their time interacting with their gadgets.
Technology can teach kids a lot of things but it should never replace learning from the real world. And you can teach them that though an iPhone can show them lots of interesting things online the world outside has even more beautiful things in store for them.